My 'Foundation' Story!

I remember when I started using make-up. I was in the university... My first foundation was Fashion Fair (remember the one with the pink cover?). It didn't seem too bad at that time, but I remember sweating like some-thing else, and it always got on to my clothes.

My second was Mary-Kay, at that time, it was the  'in-thing'... If you weren't using Mary-Kay then...(you were sitting on a long thing). Lol.

The problem was no matter what I did, it never blended well. I actually thought some-thing was wrong with my face because, after applying it, in less than 30 mins I would notice it had settled into lines like that of River Niger and Benue. Lol. It was awwwful!

It took a while to find a foundation to match my skin perfectly. I've used a couple of foundations, some 'ewww', others 'wow'.

When picking my foundation, I test it on my jaw-line and make sure it blends-in with my complexion.
Personally, I like going a shade lighter because I've got oily-skin, and your skin's natural-oils will automatically give the illusion of a slightly darker shade.

I don't have one foundation I use, I mix a number of them; some days liquid (which I tend to go for the most because I find it easier to blend), some stick-foundations, some cream to powder foundations, some B.B. creams and Mousse foundations...

So here is my foundation story...


I will start with Mac Pro Longwear :

I got this in NC50, not exactly my shade (sort of reddish and slightly lighter on me), but I mix it with other foundations (darker shades).

I like it! As the name suggests, it is indeed LONG wearing. Once you apply it, it could stay for up to 12 hours (or more). It does not 'transfer' at all. It gives a smooth, flawless-looking finish on the skin and I notice my face doesn't get oily when I use this (of course, I use my face primer)_ it's got an SPF of 10. I recommend it.

Next is Mac Studio Fix:        
                                                                                               
This was the first Mac Foundation I tried out. I got it first in NW50 and afterwards got the NW48. I cannot tell the difference between the two shades as such, but NW50 is supposed to be darker. I actually like this one as well, it gives a natural, flawless matte finish. It is also long-wearing, though when I use this, I sweat a bit (my Milk Of Magnesia always comes to the rescue here) :). 
It applies smoothly and you can easily build the coverage, it actually covers any imperfections (spots and all). I recommend this as well.


Then there is Revlon ColorStay: 

My ABSOLUTE favourite for now. I think I use this the most. 

It has got a coverage almost like the Mac Studio Fix Foundation. I use the shade in Cappuccino. I am not exaggerating, this foundation stays-on like a dream. It is super long-wearing_ I'm talking hours! 

When I apply this foundation and go out, I get asked what foundation I 'have-on' (it is that good). It doesn't cake (it is light-weight, so when I wear it, it does not feel like I'm wearing make-up), also it doesn't fade or rub-off. 

The one I use is specifically made for combination or oily skin. So it controls oil absorption and shine. Basically your look stays flawless through-out the day.

Would I recommend this? You bet cha! :) 


Revlon photoready:

I got this while in search for the Revlon Colorstay. When I saw it, I decided to try it out. 

I would say it gives a pretty good coverage and natural finish. It also lasts all day and surprisingly, does not leave me oily. I use this in the shade Cappuccino as well and it blends into my skin perfectly. Still, I prefer the Revlon Colorstay


Tara Flawless Matte Foundation:

I 'lovvvve' this foundation :). It is the best 'mattifying' foundation I've ever tried on.Very true to colour and it gives me a natural matte finish. This is one my favourite foundations; at least you can see from the picture I've almost finished it. I use the shade TM329. Will I re-purchase this? Heck, yes! :)


Black Up Teint Mattifying Foundation :

I have heard and read a lot about 'Black Up' products, so I saw this at a cosmetics-shop and decided to try it out. Uhmm... Let's just say I expected more. Still, it's a nice teint foundation, so it gives that natural-look_ not much of a matte finish though. I use the shade FM07.

Not sure I will buy this again. I'd rather get the Lancome Idole Ultra 24H. I have heard amazing reviews on that one. Can't wait to try it out.

Mary Kay Medium-Coverage Foundation: 

I use the shade 607. They say it gives a medium coverage, but personally, I feel it gives a pretty full coverage. 

As I said, this was one of the first foundations I tried, but I had issues the first time I did, because I did not blend it properly and I applied it with my fingers AND, I did not use a face primer_ now I know better.

I use this foundation almost regularly. Some-times, I do not need to 'set' with a powder. It dries fast to a matte finish. Which means I have to blend it pretty fast to make sure I have an even and flawless look. Still, because of the warm climate here, and the fact that I sweat a lot, I cannot use this product with-out a face-primer. 



Mary Kay Luminous Luminous Foundation:

I have this in Bronze 7, may-be I should have gotten it in Bronze 6. It is a beautiful foundation. 

It gives me a dewy-finish, which is not bad, but not for some-one like me with extra-oily-skin. I discovered I made a mistake. I did not realize they had both Mary kay Timewise Luminous-wear foundation (for normal to dry-skin) and Mary Kay Timewise Matte-wear foundation (for combination to oily-skin). I got the Luminous-wear instead of the Matte-wear. It is light-weight, gives a nice coverage and blends pretty well.

I heard people prefer this to the Mary Kay Medium Coverage Foundation.



Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream:

This was my first B.B. cream, I got it in the shade dark. 

It has a light coverage. If I want a natural look, I go for this B.B. (Beauty Balm) cream.

It is a bit oily for me so I have to set it with powder. I only use this product when I'm in a cold or temperate environment/climate. Still, when I use this, I notice I grease after an hour or two. I doubt I would be buying this again.


Garnier BB Cream

Another poor choice in terms of the shade. Have you tried this product?

It has SPF in 50, which is quite good to protect your skin from the sun, but I got the wrong shade, and thus haven't really tried it. I will be giving it away (any-body care to take it off me? :)). 


Alright, this is the first episode of my foundation story, watch out for episode 2;) :)

What is your favourite Liquid foundation?


Thanks for stopping by!


xoxo

Comments

  1. Choiii! All these on one face. Please when next we see, I'll have to kidnap the face Lol! Really educating and a beautiful story indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol..Yes o! (no wahala,I go dash you). Thanks for stopping by dear.:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts