Five-O; Five-O!




Welcome! 

Still on the 5-on-5 series... 

To get a 'flaw-less' and long-lasting foundation application, you would obviously require a primer [if you didn’t know... now you do! :)].

We have different formulas of face-primers_ the cream, gel and even powder primers.

One might ask, "why do I have want for a primer?" [Who primer 'epp’?] 
Ah! If you really have to ask, then that is saying you want your pores visible, even if you say you don’t have large pores [unlike mine that can 'sink a fish'. Hehehe.


It is good to know that after applying a liquid foundation, it would likely make those pores more visible; so, you see, you do require a primer. Duh!


If you are insistent you do not have use for a primer, then you just might be saying you do not mind much if your foundation does not last long [F.Y.I., that’s what a primer is for_ it 'preps' the skin for the foundation to stick better. Which would of course make it last much longer than if you go with-out]. See? 

Still not convinced?

O.K., I’ll keep going…

If you insist you don’t need a primer, and you have oily-skin like moi, then you’re saying you don’t much mind if your make-up 'slides' from all corners of your face [making your face look like a 'treasure-map' Hehehe]; because, mi-love, a primer would get rid of that oily and greasy look [which I personally find unflattering].

You still think primers are unnecessary? Then you’re probably not keen on evening-out the skin. There are primers that even-out skin-tones [like the coloured primers_ red, green, yellow, and so on]. Also, some primers brighten the skin, giving that healthy-looking skin.

Well, here's my wanting to allow myself think I have been able to 'convince' you ["and not confuse you", :)] about the importance of face-primers! 

And because I’m an oily-skinned gal [as I’ve said dozens of times], I tend to lean towards the mattifying-primers. I have used quite a few, and I do have my top and worst primers. I have said, what might not work for me might actually work for you. And if they do, kudos!

O.K., my top 5 face-primers:




1  Milk-of-Magnesia

    I’ve raved about this before and there are a lot of mixed feelings about using this as a face-primer, because it could be ingested and all... but, oh my, this by far gives me a matte finish. 

    This is the best mattifying primer for me, and I use it once-in-a-while when I have a special event [or I just do not want to look like ‘fried stew’].

I apply this on areas I 'get most oily', which is basically all over my face, and I apply it with a cotton-pad which makes it smoother, then let it sit for three minutes before I apply the foundation.

O.K., let’s roll-back a bit: this is what I do... 

I apply my oil-free moisturiser, a layer of milk-of-magnesia, my baby-skin pore minimising primer [because, the magnesia doesn’t do anything for my pores], then my foundation [in that order].


This product 'gets me'; I do not doubt it will 'get you' too! ;)


     No7 Beautifully Matte Make Up Base:




    This absolutely helps my oily-skin, and I don’t have to blot... much. 
    My make-up stays in place. My only ‘ish’ with this product is the thick, creamy texture_ it is a little difficult to spread it around the face; it helps when I apply it with a flat foundation brush.

If you have got dry-skin, don’t even look in this direction!

P.S.: I think this product has been discontinued 😩; I have been trying to get another. If you do know where I can get one [or more]... please holler!

3.  
       Mac Prep and Prime Skin Base Visage:

   
    This is my number three on my list of top primers, not because I get a mattified-look from this, but my make-up almost always looks flaw-less after I apply it. I may not be able to explain it precisely... the difference is amazeballs. ;)

It’s a lotion-formula with a bit of glitter to it. It feels nice, and smooth to the skin; gives it a healthy glow; and it makes my make-up last long [make that very long]... me likey plenty!

  Pond’s Oil Control Vanishing Cream:


    This cosmetic is a relatively new one for me, but I have been testing it out for about two weeks... I can say it’s slowly, but surely, climbing-up the ladder.

It claims to contain micro-absorbers that reduce excess oil and give a matte-look. It’s creamy and thick in texture like the No7.

Now I do say, at first it controls my facial 'shine' very well, but it doesn’t last all day, after a while, I start to see the oil 'sipping out' to say 'hi' Lol
I do not mind that 'glow' but… there is a 'B-U-T'.

Well, it is in test mode... I will 'try' to keep you posted. Still, so far I like it!

    No7 Airbrush Away Pore Minimising Primer: 


    Well, we’ve got two No7 products on the 'top list'; that says a lot. :)
    It gives an 'air-brush' effect_ it applies smoothly, and make-up stays on longer.

    In fairness, I had other face-primers jostling with the No7 for the 5th position, but I did ‘tubutubu mensah’ [luck of the draw], and ended-up with thisπŸ™ˆ. Lol.


Now for the 'funny' [rather, not so fun] part, my 'bottom' primers.


Becca Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector
This is a 'holy grail' primer for A LOT of people. A good example of 'one man’s meat, another’s poison'. 

I have really triiieeddd to like this. I’ve tried the various methods of applying this_ with a brush, a sponge, my fingers... I was even advised to mix it with a silicon primer! 

Bleggghhhh! 
Nada! 
Nein! 
Ejo! 
Rara! 
Nba nu!  

It just didn’t work for me. 

For some weird reason, it just makes my foundation 'separate'. 

It made me look 'scaly', like a zombie-extra from 'The Walking Dead'πŸ’€. Lol

O.K., I admit that was an exaggeration, but in all seriousness, it just felt like I had glue on my skin. It did not make my foundation blend smoothly; this is so my #1 'no-go', and it is on the pricey side too considering [if I’m not mistaken, I think this was between =N=25'000-27'000]. A complete waste of money... for me any-ways!

Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer:

  

Another pricey primer that doesn’t do bollocks for me [pardon my language!]. 

Personally considered, another over-rated product. 

After using this, I always, I repeat always, got super-greasy on my 'T' zone area, especially my nose. I start looking a little bit like 'Rumpelstiltskin' 😼[no offence 'Rumpel'!]. Hehehe. 

My foundation would not stay-on, it just wouldn't. Would/Should I recommend this to my oily-skinned brethren? Nope! [Make that, absolutely not!]

On the up-side... it is cruelty-free! πŸ˜€


NYX Shine Killer



Why would any-one think it right to call this a 'shine killer'? Jeez! 
It would have been more appropriate to call it 'shine distributor'! 

My skin takes-on a super slippery, and oily feel on the application of this... this... product

It did feel like my foundation, and this primer, had a 'fight'. I usually can't get both to 'co-operate'. The shine-killer keeps showing it-self. You’d think be-cause it is 'siliconey', it would make your foundation smooth and flaw-less, but no! It was the exact opposite. 

Let’s just say, without this particular primer, my skin doesn’t get as 'oily' as when I apply it. 

So, it is a no [a huge no too] from me.


Classic Makeup Perfecting Mattifying Face Primer:




In all fairness, I held no high hopes for this primer. I like a lot of Classic products but some-how, I knew this wouldn’t work for me. 

It is smack like the NYX Shine Killer, similar texture_ siliconey and all, and same effects too.

In fact, a friend of mine used it and she broke-out terribly [probably an ingredient in it she reacted to].  

This product does absolutely no-thing for my skin-type, no-thing at all!

Would I buy this, or [think to] recommend this? *Shaking head [emphatically] from side-to-side*

The up-side: I like the packaging; it reminds me of the Black-up Primer [wondering if I should try that one? Any advice?]



PS Stay All Day Primer:


This is from the Primark make-up brand, which I really like... the brand I mean. Most of their cosmetic products are quite good... and affordable, I might add. 

Unfortunately, this one 'made it' to the last 5 [shouldn't that be 'least 5'?]. 

This actually translates to 'the best' of the worst on this list; still not good for my type of skin. To be fair, it is not a mattifying primer.

And... I like the fact that it is more of a 'lotion-y' primer; other than that, I very likely would NOT be repurchasing.

And that's it my '5-O, 5-O'_ Primers Up... and Down! 


Care to share yours? :)



Thank you for stopping by!
😘
xoxo


Comments

Popular Posts